Accelerator Engineer/Scientist - Normal Conducting Linac, European Spallation Source ERIC
The Machine Directorate at the European Spallation Source (ESS) in Lund, Sweden, invites applications for an Accelerator Engineer/Scientist within the normal conducting linac.
Description of the division and closest team
The Accelerator Division is responsible for the design, construction, installation and commissioning of the ESS accelerator, in collaboration with partner institutions and other divisions of the ESS.
The successful candidate will join a small team within the Front End & Magnets Section whose primary responsibility is to install, commission and operate the Normal Conducting Front End (NCFE) linac of the ESS proton accelerator. This part of the accelerator includes the Ion Source (ISRC), Low Energy Beam Transport (LEBT), Radio Frequency Quadrupole (RFQ), Medium Energy Beam Transport (MEBT) and Drift Tube Linac (DTL).
Description of main responsibilities
The successful candidate will be responsible for the integration, installation, commissioning, operation and maintenance of – depending on his/her experience – RFQ and/or DTL. The candidate will deal with a broad range of challenging problems involving RF cavities and related structures (power couplers, pickups, RF windows, etc.), electrostatic choppers, electronics and magnets.
• Machine section coordination with all relevant stakeholders
• Installation, test and commissioning of the linac systems
• RF conditioning of the RFQ, DTL and MEBT buncher cavities
• R&D activities on the linac systems to improve their reliability and operability
• Analysis of experimental results using scientific techniques and computer software
• Documentation of research results in both written reports and scientific publications
• Ensure proper operation of the linac systems and their associated subsystems
• Initiate, support and perform troubleshooting and repairs to restore proper operation of linac systems
• Define, plan, support and perform scheduled maintenance tasks on the linac systems
• Ensure compliance with environmental, safety, health, and quality program requirements
• Support the team in the relevant installation, commissioning, operation, and maintenance activities in the Front End linac in general
• PhD in accelerator physics or engineering or related discipline is required
• Hands-on experience with RF cavity tuning, conditioning and operation is essential
• Hands-on experience with RF test instruments (network analyser, spectrum analyser, etc.)
• Experience with 2D and 3D design, analysis and simulation of electromagnetic structures using modern software tools
• Knowledge of a high level programming language (Python, Java, C) to assist in modelling, simulation and analysis of RF and accelerator physics problems
• Experience with electronics control and data acquisition systems
• Ability to work independently with little or no supervision while maintaining a high level of efficiency
• Ability to thrive in a challenging, dynamic environment. Must be flexible and quick to adapt to sudden changes and issues
• Experience of working in an international environment is essential
• Excellent oral and written English skills are a prerequisite
To be successful and perform well in this position the candidate must be a quick learner, take initiative and confidently work under own direction. You must be able to plan activities and projects well in advance, prioritise your tasks and have a problem-solving attitude. Our work environment is characterised by fast growth, fast pace of work, and an international atmosphere with highly skilled personnel. You must therefore enjoy the diversity of such an environment and have a personality suited for the challenges it presents. Excellent interpersonal and team working skills are essential together with the ability to communicate effectively on technical issues with staff and in-kind partners at all levels. Demonstrated experience working in a large, diverse team or project environments with personnel of different organizations and disciplines focused on common goals and mission accomplishment is important.
Duration and Location
The position is permanent with 6 months probation period. Your work place will be situated in Lund, Sweden.
The position is to be filled as soon as possible; applications will be considered as they are received.
Application & Contact
Please provide your curriculum vitae and cover letter in English by going to the ESS recruitment web page https://europeanspallationsource.se/careers/vacancies then clicking on “apply” and following the instructions. Please note we only accept applications via the ESS website or ESS intranet. Internal candidates are encouraged to apply through the intranet.
The deadline for applications is September 22, 2019.
For more information regarding the ESS recruitment process, please follow this link https://europeanspallationsource.se/ess-recruitment-process
For further information regarding the open position, please contact the Recruiting Manager Edgar Sargsyan, edgar.sargsyan[at]esss.se.
For further information regarding the recruitment process for this position, please contact the HR Officer Sara Margaryan, sara.margaryan[at]esss.se.
For trade union information please contact Unionen / Mikael Johansson at +46 46 888 32 51 or SACO / Swedish Association of Graduate Engineers/ Riccardo Bevilacqua at +46 46 888 32 28.
We look forward to receiving your application!